Sunday, April 27, 2008

Personalities

I keep getting asked how the girls differ in personality. I've given kind of a vague response because, honestly, I haven't been able to distinguish. Finally this week Greg and I have been able to see some differences emerging. We've come up with this - Clara is very much like a little Golden Retriever. She's happy to see us, smiles easily and frequently, and just kind of wants to be our buddy. Evelyn is a cat. She requires us to impress her or else she will not smile. However, when she does smile and coo it's a much larger response. She's more even tempered, but when she does think we're funny, she thinks we're hilarious. Clara more just thinks everything is equally funny. So, there you go. We finally discovered some differences.

We had an exciting weekend. "Exciting" is, of course, relative when you have 3 kids. It's not like we went to a gallery opening and then sky diving or anything. I took Alex out Saturday for a mom and son day - swim lesson, breakfast, playing on the fake food at the mall. While we were at the fake food playground, I ran into a friend of Greg's from work (whose wife went through a similar experience with perinatal at Rose a couple years ago and provided a ton of support to us while I was inpatient). I also saw one of my MFMs playing with one of her twins on the fake bacon. It took me about 20 seconds to figure out where I knew her. It's weird to see your doctor out and about. I couldn't help but think, "What are you doing wearing cargo pants?? You're my doctor - put on some real pants!" But I guess she's also allowed to be a mom and wear cargo pants when she lets her kid play on the fake bacon. Today I ventured out to the aquarium with all 3 kids under the guise of giving Greg some time off. He spent it instead hustling around running a bunch of errands. His parents came by afterwards and hung out for a couple hours. So, yeah, "exciting" meant something very different pre-kids, but what are you gonna do? It's worth it.

I was also thinking how I never noticed twins around me until now. Suddenly this world is crawling with them. There is that incredibly disturbing MTV True Life: I'm an Identical Twin (note: do not watch this if identicals freak you out a little...as they do me...it will only confirm some of the weirdness). America's Next Top Marathon is on? Well, guess what? It's the season with twins. See your doctor out wearing cargo pants? Well, she's with one of her twins. Talking to a lady who works at Michael's or the lady at the Gap? They both have twin brothers. Some lady opens a door for you? She's got twin daughters. They're everywhere - books, TV, the mall, in restaurants. I swear I just never saw them before.

I'm also adjusting to being quite a spectacle in public. I think I always look a little dazed. I was reading in one of my twin books that you can spot a mom of multiples in the winter because she's the only one wearing short sleeves - she just sweats that much and is always that hot. Anyway, people are very curious about the girls and nearly everyone at least stares and most stop to talk to me. It's fine, I just didn't think about it happening so it's a little new to me. I'm used to walking about being fairly anonymous. But meeting new people and chatting and getting to share my little girls is pretty fun. All moms should get treated like their kids are fascinating.

I also never noticed how narrow the world is until I had to cart around two car seats. Mimi can attest to me struggling to get both girls through Stella's just to reach a table for a cup of tea. Aisles are narrow. Doors are narrow. Turns are too sharp to make with any grace when using the stroller. I have to use some strategy now and look ahead at least 20 feet before making a move.

It's a crazy life, but it's mine. And nothing, nothing, nothing beats it when I manage to make both girls laugh at the same time. Except for, maybe, Alex getting mad at red stop lights (because he likes it when I drive fast) and he yells, "I'm so mad at you red light!! Turn green!"

Take care,
Kris

2 comments:

AmandaS said...

Whew...I'm exhausted just reading all of this. If it makes you feel better, I was just saying to Paul the other day that I wasn't sure I really had a clear sense of Carmen's personality. Its so hard when she and Ava are always together and so intertwined in all of their activities.

Denise said...

There must be a scientific name for this uber-awareness. For people like me, the pregnant bellies are everywhere.