Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Sitting and another rant

The girls are both working on sitting up unsupported. Clara's more of a rock star - she can sit for maybe 30 seconds before falling over. Evelyn clocks in closer to 10 seconds. It's exciting for us to see them progress, but still a little sad because it's happening on a delayed schedule. I had to take Clara to the doctor last week for a bunch of small things that would have never triggered worry with a healthy baby, but with her sent me on a "just in case" visit to the doctor. Anyway, the nurse asked me to sit her on the scale for her weigh-in (14 lbs 13 oz) and when I said she couldn't sit up yet, the nurse gave me a funny look. Or what I'll call the, "Well, she's 8 months old - why can't she sit up yet??" look. It's difficult to think that your baby has come so far only to see that other people still only see deficits.

While we were there I had the doctor go ahead and feel Evelyn's head to make sure it's not bulging anymore. He said it felt fine. They'll go in for their next well baby visit in a couple weeks for a more thorough appointment. I was glad to get the head feel though - every time Evelyn cries or spits up, I'm convinced the fluid on her brain is building up and causing pressure.

On to other news...I took all three kids to the aquarium which was a terrible idea. Alex is hit or miss there and, even though he had been talking about it for days, when he got there he was a disaster. I went into survival mode and was just trying to get through as quickly as possible. That's when I heard some women talking about the twins. I tried to put my head down and forge ahead (totally not in the mood to have people gawk at them). That's when she grabbed my arm, pulled me back and said, "Excuse me Miss, my friend didn't get a good look at your babies." Really?? Can you believe that?? It's just like having one baby, only there are two. Get over it!! I am sick of everyone feeling like they have a right to my babies. (Another example - on the last day of my road trip - not in a good mood by day 10 - I was trying to get everyone fed at a Qdoba and some lady grabbed a bottle and started feeding Evelyn. Honest to God, who do these people think they are??). Back to the aquarium...as I'm trying to get away from arm grabbing lady, I spot a couple with a set of twins. I asked the dad when people start to leave you alone in public and he shook his head and said, "Never. It never goes away." He also told me that people have actually taken photographs of his twins. Again, who the Hell are these people? Why can't they leave us alone? These babies are not part of the exhibit.

All grumping aside, the girls are doing well. The tooth cutting extravaganza seems to have subsided and they are back to their normal, happy selves. They love anyone talking or singing to them. Evelyn just started ba-ba-ba-ing a few days ago which is really cute. I think I've gotten their motor progress back to where it was before the vacation. Now, we just keep moving forward, keep progressing.

Take care,
Kris

1 comment:

rrcooper said...

Seriously - who are these people? I can't believe how rude and obnoxious!