Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Homecoming Queen

Evelyn's home!! My lovely older daughter came home yesterday afternoon. We got delayed one day because the little bugger had a brady on Friday and they wanted to watch her for another day to make sure it wasn't the beginning of a bad trend. All was clear so we got to go pick her up and take her home. She's been doing pretty well. She misses Clara and woke up quite a bit wanting someone to hold her or rub her back. I definitely feel like a second time mom though - I learned the hard way with Alex not to let him sleep on us all the time and not to pick him up every time he made any kind of squawk. Greg and I are trying not to undo the schedule the NICU gave the girls. If there were only one of them, we'd had the luxury to cuddle and coddle. But these girls have to be tough :) So...we kept putting her back in her bassinet with a back rub here and there.

For as happy as we are to bring a baby home, we're equally sad to leave a baby there. It was really tough to walk out without Clara. Hopefully, she'll come home in the next 1-2 weeks. She'll definitely come home on oxygen for at least month, possibly several months. It sounds like a drag, but I'd rather get her home with tubes attached than keep her there for God know how long.

We really lucked out - my dad decided to come into town for a quick visit and it ended up being really, really helpful to have him here watching Alex while we dealt with discharge information and last minute shopping to prep the house. Speaking of Alex - he has been an excellent big brother. He's all loves and kisses. Every time she cries he says that she misses Clara.

As far as visitors go- we have to be careful not to overwhelm Evelyn. She can have one or two visitors at a time, but no big crowds. And, because she's a preemie, we all have to be really careful about handwashing. The doctors recommended no kids visit for awhile and obviously no sick visitors. All others are welcome... just give us a call first.

Take care,
Kris

3 comments:

Lexie said...

Congratulations! I am so excited for Evelyn and eventually Clara. Keep in touch! I miss you!

Jen said...

I am so happy for you! I can't wait until Clara comes home and your family is complete!

Mimi said...

That great to hear that Evelyn is home. Must have been so hard to leave Clara - I always am so curious about that "twin" connection and wonder what each of them senses when the other is not there.

Go Clara go!

So glad that Alex is such a big brother. that is adorable.

Hope you aren't worrying too much and getting some sleep here and there.