Thursday, September 25, 2008

New therapist

We saw the new therapist on Tuesday and I like her so much more than the last one because she actualyl listens to me. Anyway, we got lots of new exercises - helping to transition to a sit and stand (in various ways, depending on which girl I'm working with since they have different strengths and different ways of moving), practicing a side sit to build of core strength, and helping with crawling. What I also like about this new therapist is that she seems more flexible with the exercises. She said she wants to girls to master their next skills in the easiest way possible for them. From there, we work on them mastering the spectrum of movement. So, for example, Evelyn wants to pull up to a sit from her side. Clara is less traditional and wants to get to a sit from a crawl position. We hold weight down on Evelyn's thigh to get her to pull herself up and, for Clara, we get her on all fours and then tug on her hips to get her to scooch back into a sit. The therapist said that once they can do the movement, the other ways of getting there will come more naturally. Our old therapist would have had one way to do an exercise and made us force it.

Take care,
Kris

2 comments:

Mom said...

I am so glad things are going better with the new PT and that the girls are finally back to getting therapy.

If only everyone could be as happy as your girls, the world would be a better place! Love you all.

jdh said...

Your girls are very lucky to have parents willing/able to commit the time and energy that you do. I much enjoy reading about their improvement.