As a point of reference, we had Alex in therapy until he was three. He received weekly therapy for speech delays and occupational therapy. He had gross and fine motor therapy for a shorter period of time - maybe 2-3 months or so. Alex didn't sit up unsupported until 8 months. He crawled at 10 1/2. Walked at 14. Spoke his first word ("more") at 18 months. He had sensory issues making basic care taking difficult - he hated water, hated having his face and hair washed. He had food texture issues that greatly limited his diet and caused all sorts of fun digestive issues. He screamed bloody murder at the mere thought of a diaper change. The pressure from strapping him into his car seat led to more roadside fights than I care to admit. He's come a loooong way. Meeting him now I think elements of this might still be visible, but he's a tremendous little guy who navigates the world just like any other 4 year old. Greg and I are extremely proud of him and, honestly, of ourselves for forcing issues with him. We committed to the therapies and worked really, really hard to work beyond the problems. He was a tough baby, but who he is now is totally worth all the work. He's a funny little man and so full of energy and excitement. I can't say that I look back at his early temperament fondly, but I love who he has become. And I really can't imagine a better older sibling. That kid loves his sisters so much. He's so eager to help bathe them, change them, and feed them. He's constantly kissing them and he loves to make them laugh. He is a really good older brother and a great kid.
Anyway, we are believers in early intervention. The funny thing is that having a child with developmental delays sets your barometer off a little. I don't really see the girls as delayed because they are at or earlier in pace than Alex. Their gross motor looks pretty similar to his. Their fine motor looks better. Their speech certainly looks better. They imitate more. They are more playful and more social. So when the therapy service coordinator is asking me very earnest questions about where I want them to be in 6 months, it's hard to not laugh. They are so much further than I ever expected and further than my only other experience. My answer is that I want them to keep doing what they are doing.
So, here's a list of all their fabulous accomplishments. Not a single one is taken for granted:
- Clara is crawling. Evelyn is maybe two weeks away from crawling. Probably more like a week.
- Both girls pull themselves into a sit and sit completely unsupported.
- Both girls pincher grasp their food.
- Both girls are full of babbling: da-da-da, ba-ba-ba, ya-ya-ya.
- Both girls are incredibly social - especially loving peek-a-boo, songs being sung to them, and anything Alex does in front of them.
- Both girls bang toys together.
- Both girls can stand for long periods of time either supported in front or back.
- Clara takes a few wild steps at a time if you hold her fingers and hands up above her head.
- Both girls are imitating a few gestures and sounds.
- They don't like having toys taken away.
- They turn at the sound of their names.
- Clara follows me out of the room everytime I leave. I think Evelyn would too if she could crawl. She mostly just looks at me like I've stabbed her in the heart everytime I leave.
We're pretty excited and are hopeful that things will just keep progressing. Greg is taking Clara in tomorrow for a pulmonology appointment. Hopefully all goes well there. She's been wheezing a bit, which I believe is an early asthma symptom. Not surprising given her history.
Take care,
Kris

2 comments:
I'm thrilled everything looks good, although I gave you that opinion last week. Whatever that means.
It is so heartwarming to read this update. It sounds corny, but "heartwarming" is really what came to mind. Might as well stick to the corny theme and tell you we are proud of you all.
Post a Comment