Friday, January 18, 2008

Good news/bad news

Well, we got good news and bad news today. The good (great) news is that Evelyn will be coming home in 2-3 days. Yay!! The bad news is that the latest round of follow-up brain ultrasounds showed that Clara's brain bleed caused some enlargement in her ventricles. The exact outcome of this development is unknown. It likely means she'll have some sort of motor deficits. Exactly how much....we're not sure. It could mean that she'll walk a little later or it could be more serious (hopefully not as serious as cerebral palsy). So, there you have it....more to worry about. For some reason it had never occurred to me that one baby would have typical development and the other one wouldn't. I can't even begin to imagine how difficult that will be for the girls if the deficits are severe. Can you imagine how you'd feel if you had a delay and your twin sister didn't? Or the guilt you'd feel if you were fine and your sister had problems. Ech. Too much to think about.

So, I'm going to shove it out of my thoughts. I can't do anything about it anyway and we won't even know what it means for a long, long time. For now I'm going to focus on getting Evelyn home this weekend and Clara in the next week or so. I'm going to focus on just loving them and hope everything else falls into place.

Take care,
Kris

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Fabulous news about Evelyn coming home and you have a good point about it not helping to stress about possible future complications for Clara. Hope she joins her sister at home soon...

Denise said...

I know there's nothing I can say to take the worry away. The only thing that pops into my head are cliches...only time will tell, etc. All I can say is that I know you guys can handle this. You are great parents and Alex and the girls are lucky to have you. And it is wonderful news that Evelyn is coming home (or already is home?).