Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Therapy update and photos

The girls had an excellent therapy appointment today. The PT said they are doing things she wouldn't have expected from them for another 2 or 3 months. She also said that about half of preemie moms give up by now - so big applause for me. She even asked what advice I'd give to moms to keep them working intensively. My answer is all over the place...Certainly it has helped a lot to get positive feedback from the PT. It also helps that I quit my job and can spend hours and hours everyday with the girls. But mostly I think it helped that I knew ahead of time that the girls would be premature and would need early intervention therapy. I think it also helps that I'm not a first time mom (hearing my babies cry doesn't hurt as much this time around so I can continue therapy longer than new moms probably) and I'm not a first time therapy mom. I've been through this with Alex and I understand how important early intervention is both from personal experience and because of what I used to do for a living. So, I didn't have any great advice. I think my life just followed a path that allows me to deal with intensive therapy. And, by the way, I'm aware that it could be a lot more - families of kids with autism will often spend 40 hours a week in therapy.

Oh...also... funny twins story. I had Clara on her back and Evelyn next to her on her tummy. I left the room for a minute and heard a crazy loud scream. I came running in to find that Evelyn had shimmied about 90 degrees and way chewing on Clara's hand. Clara, understandably, was not a fan of this new arrangement.

Anyway, moving on to some pictures. Please to enjoy!

Sharing a toy (Clara left, Evelyn right)



Clara

Evelyn

Kids on the 4th

Ripley on the mend

Alex as a pirate

Take care,
Kris

3 comments:

Lexie said...

Everyone is getting so big! Andy misses his girlfriends...he told me. Talk to you soon!

Nana said...

Hi Kristina,
Just want you to know how much I enjoy reading your posts, and that I am in awe and admire you for the dedication you have in doing all of the the pt with the girls.
Marlene (not yo mama-in-law)

AmandaS said...

They are so dang cute. All four of them. Its nice to see Ripley healing up. It is weird to see the girls in Ava and Carmen's old clothes. I love seeing Clara sans stickers!