Thursday, January 3, 2008

Good news

Hurray! Clara's brain bleed is resolving. They won't bother testing it again unless she fails to meet her developmental milestones. We've got a built in control in her sister so we can compare the two to figure out if any lasting damage was done.

I got to give Evelyn a bath today and I got to breastfeed both girls - Evelyn more successfully than Clara. Both girls are getting some sort of nipple 1-2 times a day. This is a huge step because one of the criteria for coming home is being able to feed without tubes.

Evelyn's down to 1 liter of high flow. Clara's back up to 3 liters because she had a low desat yesterday and it took some time for her to recover. Getting them off the flow is another criteria for coming home. They can be on oxygen, but it has to be without any flow. So, we have to first get them down in high flow liters and then reduce them to low flow. Then we can get them off low flow and just on oxygen.

Clara started some iron yesterday to help with her anemia. Evelyn's off her caffeine (Clara was never on it).

Evelyn's now 4 lbs 14 ounces and Clara is 3 lbs 13 ounces. Both are starting to look like babies - Evelyn especially is really filling out. Clara........still kind of looks like a wrinkly alien, but she's coming along. I think another 6 ounces or so and she'll look pretty baby-like.

I've been back to work for 3 days and it's going okay. I feel a little out of it and I'm trying to recall information that I used know like the back of my hand. I'm sure that right when I'm feeling confident again I'll be back at home with the babies.

I think we should be the proud new owners of a minivan in about 3 days. Lucky us!

Take care,
Kris

4 comments:

Denise said...

Oh, I'm so happy to hear Clara is doing better! Woo hoo on the minivan! Time to go cruisin...

Jen said...

Nipple actions sounds pretty hot. And a minivan eh? Is it a souped up one? With flames?

I am glad to hear the girls are doing good though! Yay!

Mimi said...

Great to hear about the girls and their progress! I love that you say "built in control" - I think you remember more from work than you give yourself credit for ;).

Minivans are pretty sexy. Good luck with work - that must not be the most fun but as you said - maybe distracting if not anything else.

Lexie said...

I am so glad to hear everything is going well! Want to come pick us up in the minivan and go to the hospital one afternoon? I would love to have a ride in the minivan! We miss you!
Lexie and AJ

P.S. We have a few preemie outfits for you and a ton of preemie diapers to give you!