Monday, June 23, 2008

6 month well baby

A couple congratulations are in order - First, to Mama Wannabe on the heartbeat of little peanut!!! Second, to the new arrival of Kellen and Taylor!

Evelyn and Clara had their 6 month visit today with Dr. Bud. Everything looks good. Evelyn's head is still gigantic, but he said it looks more proportionate to the rest of her body. For now, we'll still just watch without any planned follow-up. He also said we can branch out beyond rice cereal, let them sleep all 11 hrs at night without eating if they're up for it, and take Evelyn off Prevacid (Clara is stuck on it until she's at least 1, per her pulmonologist). Waaaay better than the last visit. Here are the stats (all percentiles are chronological meaning that we're no longer age-adjusting for the prematurity):

Evelyn

Weight - 15 lbs 12 oz (45%)
Height - 25 3/4 in (45%)
Head - 44.7 cm (96%)....aka huge


Clara (now, percentile-wise, bigger than Alex was at 6 months)
Weight - 13 lbs 2 oz (9%)
Height - 24 1/2 in (10%)
Head - 43 cm (60%)

As I was making the next appointment I spoke with the lady who does the referrals. She just wanted to check in with the girls and ooh and ahh about how big they are, etc. The scheduler also said something like, "Wow! I can't believe they are already 6 months old!" It made me very aware that these little girls are not even a little bit anonymous in that office. I used to take Alex in and never get a glimmer of recognition from anyone. Now, with the girls, it's like walking into a bar and everyone shouts "Norm!" It's a little weird, but really nice to feel like the girls have a cheering section.

We're doing a pulse ox test this week to see if Clara can come completely off the oxygen. I'm fairly confident, but not nearly as much as the last couple tests we've had with her. I'm trying to prepare myself for the doctor saying that she needs to stay on for another month. Cross your fingers though!

And, finally, a Ripley update (in case you care). She's getting better. Her eye is definitely healing as evidenced by the fact that I can look at her without shuddering.

Take care,
Kris

3 comments:

Jen said...

Thanks for the shout out... :)

And I am glad to hear the girls - including Ripley - are doing so well!

Mom said...

The girls are getting soooo big and they are soooo cute! Bet they will be much happier with something besides that yucky cereal to eat!

Also, I want to add my happy thoughts to Jen!

AmandaS said...

That is awesome. Whoo hoo!