Thursday, June 26, 2008

Farewell to the gummy smiles

Evelyn and Clara both cut their first teeth today! Clara's is bottom left, Evelyn's is bottom right. How cute is that?? And it explains the less than spectacular moods they've been demonstrating.

Moving on. I subscribe to a Twin magazine that is mostly not worth the money. It tends to describe the obvious or is meant for new parents. For example, is it really "twin" related that I need to put sunscreen on my kids? As much as it's not very informative, it does provide at least one or two nuggets each issue that will keep me subscribing. Last month I found out that on birthdays there needs to be two cakes and two rounds of "Happy Birthday." Seems obvious now, but I never thought about it. This month I learned that some states are trying to pass laws that force twins to be separated in schools. I have mixed feeling about this - it's easy for me to say right now that I want them to be separated, but I can see how, in a few years, it'll be evident how detrimental separating them may be. So stay tuned to your local laws. This month's issues also listed "You know you have multiples if..." A sampling (with my chattering comments, free of charge in red):
  • In the case of an unfortunate collision involving your stroller and a passing Hummer, the stroller takes the win. Seriously, the twin stroller is a pain in the ass. I will say, however, that people have been incredibly kind. I have not opened a door for myself in months. Even a 10 or 11 year old girl once held a door open for me.
  • "You've got your hands full." Those are the five words most commonly uttered to you by the general public. The other comment I hear all the time is, "Are they twins?" No, they are triplets, have you seen the other one?/No, I just had them really close together. Either of these in-my-head retorts are followed by "...you idiot." Or my personal favorite is when people just exclaim, "Twins!" Yes, I am aware I have twins. But actually these comments don't bother me because they are at least addressed to me. What bothers me is when people comment on my twins (Oh, she has two babies/She has her hands full/Look, she has twins) as though I can't hear. I don't like feeling like a freak show. At least have the decency to not talk about me right in front of me.
  • Your version of the ultra-luxurious "me time" involves a toothbrush, toothpaste, and two minutes by a sink. I actually have to share these two minutes with Alex so, technically, I can't even relate to this one.
  • The gallery of people who see it fit to inform you that your twins are twice the work, twice the headache, and twice the expense will never understand the truth: your twins are twice the joy, twice the laughter, and exponentially priceless. On that note...

Take care,

Kris

2 comments:

Denise said...

There's a woman I work with who told me she celebrates her twins "home day." Because her girls came home on different days (like yours), in addition to their birthday, they celebrate the day they came home from the hospital so that they each get their own special day where they get to do something fun with mom or dad. I thought that was a cool idea.

Lexie said...

Weeeee for teeth! Dr. Vean says you should brush them once a day with toothpaste that HAS flouride (contrary to what the books say). How's that advice from a Dentist's daughter. I am such a nerd. I am sure my Dad will start making us floss soon! Love to all! Happy teeth for the girls!!!