The second thing about the search terms people use that struck me was how sad they are. They are things like:
- Momo twins dying
- Momo twin mortality
- Momo twin survival rate (catching a theme here?)
- Grade 1 hemorrhage
- How to deal with decels
- ...and so on.
They are sad because I remember those dark nights...2:00 in the morning with me at the computer typing in all of these horrible things to find any information I could about momo twins, tears streaming down my face, and praying that I wouldn't have to give birth to "angel babies" or babies with severe special needs. It was incredibly frustrating to have a medical condition so rare with so little available information. Last night at Sunday Night Dinner, Lexie was telling me about these momo twin onesies that I remembered seeing on one of those dark nights. They said "We defied the odds." Can you imagine? I remember just bursting into tears when I saw them. Now, months later, the part that bothers me about these onesies is how unfair they are to everyone with babies who didn't defy the odds. I get really upset when people say they just "knew" or had "a gut feeling" that everything would be okay - it really negates our struggle, but more importantly, it's really unfair to the families who prayed just as hard, hoped just as much, and still had babies who died.
Sorry, I'm feeling a little reflective today. I'm also much more ready to be honest about how tough the last year has been. I edited out a lot of my emotional state at the time because I didn't want people treating me like I was fragile. Now I can look back and more easily laugh about the absurd parts and cry about the sad parts. I'm not a different person than I was before, but I have developed a greater sensitivity to the struggles of others.
Take care,
Kris

2 comments:
I just wanted to say no matter what - YOU ROCK. :-) Thank you!
I think they need to make a shirt that says, "I survived perinatal." That would be more appropriate. I still want to get them shirts that say "Mo" and "Mo", but again, people might get the wrong idea. I hope you have a great week! Talk to you soon.
Post a Comment