Saturday, November 17, 2007

Decelerations

Today's been a tough one. The on-call doctor stopped by to tell me that Evelyn had a few decelerations during my morning monitoring session. A deceleration is a drop in heart rate for a few minutes - not necessarily an emergency, but definitely worth watching me more closely. So, I got assigned two 2-hour sessions to watch them more carefully. I had my first 2-hour monitoring session mid-day and there were a few variables (dips in heart rate for a few seconds), but no more decelerations. The resident felt the variables were appropriate for their gestational age. I'll go back on around 7:00 tonight for another long session. I'm hoping they still look fine.

I also got orders to wear these ridiculous things around my legs to try to prevent blood clots in my legs from being immobile for so long. For some reason, I'm on these, but my friends here who are actually on bedrest are not. I'm going to ask my doctor about them on Monday. I don't think I'd mind having them on at night and while I'm monitoring, but I'd rather not wear them throughout the day because they tether me to the bed and make me feel like a true hospital patient.

In other news, Mandy and Ava are out visiting which is lovely. We were hoping to give Greg a bit of a break today. However, I got a little freaked out by the extra monitoring and called him to the hospital. We're going to try to have a slumber party tonight with Ava, Alex, Mandy and me and let Greg have the night to himself.

The kids seem to be having a nice visit with each other. Ava talks at Alex and Alex just stares at her. So, you know, typical for them :)

I guess that's it.

Take care,
Kris

1 comment:

Denise said...

Hey! Haven't checked in on your blog yet this week, so had a lot of fun reading to catch up on. Are the blood clot prevention things that wrap around your calves with velcro and vibrate every so often? I had those when I was in the hospital after our Mexico trip. Try to think of them as a mini-massage. Hope your slumber party is going well!

P.S. Jen and I are now cyber IF buddies. Thanks for hooking us up!