Thursday, November 8, 2007

Move-in day

Hi everyone!

I moved into Rose Medical Center yesterday after a little shuffling around. The nurse at my doctor's office didn't quite get the paperwork sent in so the hospital was unaware I was coming. When I admitted, the Perinatal unit was full and I got placed temporarily into Labor and Delivery - a situation that I'm hoping is very temporary because I can't unpack and get settled until I'm in my actual room.

So far the hospital stay has been about what I thought it would be. After I got admitted, they came in to check my vitals (all clear) and start fetal monitoring. The monitoring is taking a long time because the girls are still kind of little and mobile and not cooperating with needing to stay in place for 20-30 minutes at a time. They also tend to have heart rates that are close to each other, so it's hard to distinguish them on the monitors. The going wisdom is that as they get larger and can't move around as much, it should be easier to know where to place the monitors. In the meantime, it's a big celebration when we get them both on and they stop wiggling. The whole process makes me anxious because I want so much for them to monitor well and stay inside me for 7 more weeks.

I also had some blood drawn. I'll get this done every 3 days to keep the lab updated. I get to wear an awesome, gigantic (and not at all irritating) plastic blue bracelet that lets people know about my blood needs in case I end up needing blood. They can scan the bracelet and it tells the bank downstairs what I'd need in an emergency.

I started my steroid treatment yesterday as well. I'll have one more shot today and then not again until 30+ weeks. The steroids let the babies know that they need to hurry up and start developing strong lungs (lungs are the last major thing to develop in babies and, because of this, premature babies often have lung problems). Can I just say - not to whine too much - that the steroid shot hurt...kind of a lot. Apparently, thick liquids hurt to inject. For fun, after the immediate pain, it turns into a dull pain for about an hour. I'll be happy after today's stick to get it over with.

I met 3 nurses (Linda, Donita, and Jennifer), 1 resident (Kelly), saw my doctor while he was on rounds, and my regular OB (pre-momo twin diagnosis) stopped in yesterday to say "hi." The part I'm adjusting to (and it just happened as I was typing that last sentence) is random people popping their head in and then leaving without saying anything. It just really makes me feel like what it is - I'm living in someone's place of work. I'm basically living in a storage room and they need to find stuff :) I'm sitting next to a big storage cart that includes such fun items as "amnio hooks" "emesis basins" and "placenta buckets." Lovely!

Today I'll start my pool therapy. I think it basically means I float in the pool. I should also get a better sense of my schedule today.

I was happy to see Greg and Alex last night and Alex jumped right on my bed and started playing around. I'm hoping this is a good indication for his adjustment. He's funny, you know, he does well with huge transitions like switching classrooms, moving to a bed, getting rid of the pacifier (and hopefully Mommy living in the hospital), but God forbid we try to get him to change shoes....then he melts down.

Mentally I'm doing okay. I've got freedom to roam around and I'll probably take them up on that offer today to get out of my room and get refreshed. I managed to squeeze out 7 hours of sleep last night which I thought was good considering it was Ambien-free and my first night here. The crappy part is that I have to leave my lights on a little so they can check on me (just to check, they don't actually wake me or do anything to me) through the night. I may start breaking that rule and turning off my lights :) Having them on dimmer makes a hissing noise that is, after 4 hours, like a stick in the eye.

I think I'll feel better once I'm in my room and have a schedule down. Living in a hospital is not good for planners like me.

Everyone has been nice and respectful. I was especially glad to see them stop the fetal monitoring when Greg and Alex got here last night. They seem to be pretty good about understanding that just because I'm here doesn't mean I don't have a life.

So - that's all. I'm going to go all Swedish on you all and keep my emotions bottled up :) Just kidding, I'm doing fine. A few tears yesterday, but mostly fine. And today's there's a Law and Order Criminal Intent marathon on to keep me busy.

Oh also, my cell is the best way to reach me. The landlines have to go through the nurses station.

And send big love to Greg who is now saddled with being an errand boy and single dad. He's handling it like a champ.

Take care everyone,
K

8 comments:

Unknown said...

hey! just wanted to drop by the new blog and say hi. i am glad all parties are adjusting to the new situation well enough. pool therapy sounds fun.

Papa said...

Kris, This is great. You have dragged me into the 21st century from your hospital bed. This is my first ever comment on a blog. I now have a Google account and a password. Your hospital care appears to be first class, which is gratifying. I'll give you a call later this afternoon.

Mom said...

Love the blog and look forward to the updates. Love to all the family.

Maggie said...

Like your Papa, this is my first ever comment on a blog - actually never been in a blog before!

Good to hear that you are settling in although in a temporary room. Hopefully you will be in your own room soon so you can get properly settled in. Sounds like little Alex is just fine and so happy to see you.

Unknown said...

Hey - We missed you on the PC call - trust me I'd rather be at the pool! What a great way to keep informed. Glad to hear you and the family are adjusting well.

Anonymous said...

Ava says "Hi Aunt Kris!"
Carmen says "wabashwiby me ma"
We're pleased to hear you and yours are making a relatively smooth transition. Mulder is curious how the food is. I told him he should have low expectations and then laughed at him. Once again, he failed to see the humor.
Keep the fancy blogs coming.

Dave & Lynette Pollock said...

Dear Kris, Our fervent prayers continue to be with you, Greg, all of your little ones and those who are caring for you. Greg, you can add my thanks to that of the other new bloggers for taking the time to create this site as I have never participated in a blog before either. Your thoughtful efforts will enable us to stay close to you during the remainder of this exciting journey. Hey, I may be blogging in the 21st century but, don't attempt to pull my wardrobe out of the 80's...ask your Mom and her sister about that one!

AmandaS said...

Glad to hear all is going as well as expected. I'm all about the L&O CI marathons. Have fun being observed as the pool today. That sounded awful! At least you aren't shamelessly addicted to coffee (like I am)--I 'd be crawling the corridors searching for a fix all morning. Hang in, sister.