Saturday, December 15, 2007

CPAPs, PDAs and NICUs - our new reality

I wanted to update everyone on the girls. They're still having some respiratory issues - Clara more so than Evelyn. Both girls are off the ventilator and are using the CPAP. I think they're on some fancy version of CPAP that provides something extra - don't quote me on that though. This whole thing is a blur and I'm not always sure what the NICU people are telling us.

They did an ultrasound of their hearts to look for something called patent ductus arteriosus (PDA). PDA is a heart condition were one of the arteries doesn't close. It's common with preemies and with babies who have respiratory issues. Both girls have it and have started medicine to try to treat it. They get 3 doses of the medicine 12 hours apart. After the third dose, they'll check the hearts again to see if the artery closed. If not, they can try the treatment 2 more times. If it's still not effective, there is a chance (slim, I believe) that they'd need heart surgery. I'd love to try to explain it more, but I don't really understand it. Someone should have told us to take some anatomy classes or something before we had preemies in the NICU.

I think those are the major issues right now. We know more are coming up, but right now we're just to get them to breathe well.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Let's hope the meds do their trick! Wishing you FIVE all th e best!

Mimi said...

Sounds like information overload although you probably still feel like you need more of it - or at least info that's understandable. Hope you girls are doing okay tonight. I can't even really imagine how they look - or you for that matter - after your surgery! Go little lungs, go. Goodnight...