Saturday, December 8, 2007

Tick tock

As the late Jim R would say - here's the deal...the babies cooperated yesterday, but they should start packing for the big move to the NICU. My doctor came by to tell me that she informed the on-call doctor for this weekend (I'll get to who the doctor is in a second) not to tolerate any more downs. She told him if I had any decels over the weekend that the instruction is to deliver. For realsies this time. If I can hold these girls inside, my c-section will be scheduled for either Thursday (31w 6d - 12/13) or the following Monday (32w 3d - 12-17) because my main doctors would prefer to be the ones to deliver and my 32 week turnover happens to be on a Friday that neither of them are in town and I'm guessing scheduled c-sections don't happen on the weekend.

Now here's the funny (not ha-ha) part. The big, fancy, "best in Colorado", Mr. 5280 magazine, and you'll need months to wait before you can see him, MFM (maternal fetal medicine specialist, aka perinatologist) who originally diagnosed the girls would be the one delivering us if they misbehave this weekend. Greg and I really didn't like the guy and we went to great pains to get out of his practice and to come to a hospital that we *thought* he didn't work at. No such luck....apparently, the MFMs all cover for each other. When I expressed my dislike of the guy, my doctor told me to be stern with the babies and tell them to wait until Monday at least. It would just give this cocky doctor the pleasure of diagnosing and delivering another set of momo twins as though we had been his patients all along. I know it's ridiculous to care at this point and, obviously, if it happens the last thing I'll be thinking about is me not liking him. But it would be an interesting little twist in this whole story.

So, expect Greg and me to be parents of 3 no later than 12/17. It's crazy! Neither one of us have really prepared ourselves. Although my experience with one baby is that you can't prepare yourself anyway. You just have to live it.

I hope these girls stay in until them, bu I gotta say, I'm really tired of hospital life. I miss my old life and simple things like sleeping in my bed, driving, waking Alex up in the morning, and walking into the kitchen to get a glass of juice. I miss working. I miss the smell of my closet. I miss snuggling with the dog. I think I did a reasonably good job adapting to this place, but I really want to go home (again, not to jinx anything - I don't want to go home so badly that I have babies today. Let me be clear on that point to the Gods or whoever is listening to my inner thoughts).

Take care,
Kris

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Here's to hoping Clara and Evelyn hold out for a more pleasant doctor...
Thinking of you and your brood lots

Lexie said...

I am so excited to see these babies, but I want them to wait! Sorry to hear about the doc...maybe Clara and Evelyn will wait because they know! I'm thinking about out you and hope the girls behave throughout the weekend! Maybe Andy can come this weekend?

Anonymous said...

I'll have Carmen (she's probably the one who speaks newborn the best) to tell the girls to hold on. NO DR. BLOWHARD!

I"m sure you are so sick of the hospital. It will be great to get home, and even better when all the 'shoes are under one roof.