Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Quick update

Hi everyone - sorry we've been kind of unresponsive and out of contact. The girls are doing fine. They were under bili lights for about three days and came out this morning. Every day the doctors are hopeful that they can come off the CPAPs and just use the nasal cannula and every day they're not quite ready. Maybe tomorrow -we'll see. They just need their lungs to get a little stronger. Evelyn has a had a few episodes where her heart rate goes down, but so far nothing too scary. They're both getting a little breastmilk fed through gavage. So far so good. They, along with every other baby in the NICU, had some constipation and got glycerin suppositories yesterday. I changed a poopy diaper today so it must of worked.

I finally got to hold them yesterday and today I got to do kangaroo care (skin on skin contact). Both girls did really well being held and it was the happiest I've been in awhile. Greg still hasn't gotten a chance to hold them - hopefully tomorrow or the next day.

When we're in the NICU we have to have our cell phones turned off, so I'm sorry if we're not getting back to people. We're just really overwhelmed by everything and all the emotions that we're feeling. I'm incredibly happy to be home, but it's bittersweet. It's difficult to be here when the girls are at the hospital and I'm trying to spend as much time as possible with them. We're also trying to get me healed and back on track relearning how to be at home.

In other exciting news, Lexie had her baby boy on Friday and Inbal had her baby girl today. All the floaters gave birth within a week of each other. We're all in the same carass.

Thanks to everyone who sent gifts and well wishes. We'll be in touch with folks as soon as things settle down a bit. In the meantime, I'll try to be better updating through the blog.

Take care,
Kris

2 comments:

Mimi said...

Love the same carass comment about you and your fellow floaters. So true. Glad to hear the girls are doing well. It must be quite a transition from hospital life back home.

Continuing to think about you. I'm writing from Pierre (pronounced "peer"), South Dakota on my LAST trip. See you soon.

Jen said...

Glad to hear that the girls are doing well. And that you guys are hanging in there too!