Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Revolving door of nurses

Last night marked, I think, the 5th night in the row that I got a nurse I'd never met before. It's hard to believe that 5 weeks into this, that can still happen. Last night's nurse (not my favorite, by the way) waited until the ripe time of 9:00 to start my monitoring which, naturally, meant to girls acted up and I wasn't able to get off until midnight. Clara started out a bit sluggish, then Evelyn was stuck in a prolonged acceleration, then both girls had a deceleration at the same time. I'm guessing the decel was Clara grabbing Evelyn's cord and Evelyn retaliated by grabbing Clara's. Once they started to settled down, I started having a bunch of contractions (about 6 in 25 minutes) and they had to get me on some fluids to try to get them to stop. Much of the event was a blur to me because the nurse thought I was going to get off the monitor around 11:00 and gave me my Ambien. Everything from that point on happened in a bizarre dream-like state.

Anyway, having a new nurse is really frustrating because I have to re-explain everything - yes, that machine is broken, my vitamins are up there, no - use the barcodes on the outside of the bag, yes - it's normal for me to have an irritable uterus, etc. I'm happy to have Brenda today and David tonight. It's not my job to give an orientation to room 374 every night. Oh, and I also had the resident that I don't like last night. She came in after the prolonged acceleration to tell me everything was fine. While she was in the room, the girls had their decels. She said, "Well, you've just bought yourself more time." Then without saying another word she turned around, walked out, and left my door wide open. I never saw her again over the next two hours. And, come on, close my stupid door. I don't have a ton of freedom around here, at least respect my privacy. And she also got mad when I took myself off the monitor to go to the bathroom. Well, guess what, lady - I've got two babies inside and I'm supposed to be drinking 120-150 ounces of water. These facts mean that I have to go the bathroom....a lot.

Alright, all done complaining.

My new floating partner got her pool privileges taken away. Her cervical length got shorter and she's now on super-duper bed rest and isn't even really allowed to sit up in bed. I'm getting a new floater today though. One of the ruptured sac ladies who's been here about as long as me has been cleared to go to pool.

Take care,
K

3 comments:

Jen said...

Well at least you get better nurses today. And those girls are being so naughty! Have fun with the new floatie friend. You seem to go througha lot of em...

Unknown said...

The girls definitely are fiesty! Enjoy today's float session.

amster.com said...

Are they getting nurses from other departments to cover? Not like you don't have enough to deal with without having to tell give the new ones the orientation. I hope your floating went well.