Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Desats, apnea, and open air cribs

I spoke with the doctor yesterday and she said Evelyn's having more desaturation and apnea spells than one would expect from someone her gestational age, but since she's a preemie there's no way to really say that she's unusual. It's mostly that folks are disappointed that she's not progressing a little faster. I'm guessing (and this is purely a guess) that it means she'll be in the NICU for a little longer to make sure she's caught up. I'm also wondering if it mean that she's at a greater risk for some respiratory issues like asthma later on in life. Who knows?

A couple nights ago they got moved to an open air crib. The little isolette was getting pretty crowded.

Clara's passed her birth weight (something she had done before and then she lost a bunch more - stinker). She's weighing in at 3 lbs 4 oz. Evelyn's slowly getting close to her birth weight. Yesterday she was 4 lbs 1/2 oz. I'm hoping that by today she's above her birth weight.

That's it. They're still on high flow cannulas until all the desats get under control.

Take care,
Kris

3 comments:

Jen said...

I hope everything goes smoothly for you all. I hope it was a great Christmas. Love ya!

Mimi said...

They are so cute together in the pictures and you look so great! They must have an especially strong bond being in one sack together for so long.

Thanks for the updates!!

paula said...

I'm glad to hear that everything is going well! Wow maintaining their own body temp! They'll be eating soon! The apnea spells will go away sooner or later-Benjamin's did!